Sunday, July 24, 2005

Day # 7: First "Long Run"

Well, this weekend was the first of the "long runs" in the program. The program called for a 6 mile run today. While Sara and her mother were attending church in Vernon, NJ, I decided that I would hit the roads for a good workout in absolutely beautiful weather in NJ. The temps were in the high 70s with no humidity, and a light breeze. Additionally, the area near the church was incredibly shady as well, which also helped me on the run. So, I was not at all familiar with the back roads in the neighborhood I was running, but I knew I had to complete a long run, so I told myself to run between 50 and 60 minutes, and that should comfortably put me over 6 miles. Well, I ended up running for 60:11. At even a 10 minute pace that would have eclipsed 6 miles! I definitely concentrated on slowing my pace to ensure that I could finish comfortably, which I thought I did really well. It is actually pretty tough to pace at around 9 to 9:15 per mile, but I think I managed pretty well.

1 comment:

Scottie Roy said...

Good work youngster!