Friday, August 11, 2006

Tomorrow

Tomorrow is important to me for a lot of reasons. This race will always hold a special place in my heart because my grandmother and grandfather lived in this small town of Shelburne Falls, MA almost all their lives. For a town of less than a couple of thousand people, I have alot of connections to it, and memories of it as a kid. When the gun goes off tomorrow morning, I'll be certainly thinking of the memory of my Grandparents and what they meant to me.

Tomorrow's race is also a good barometer of my fitness level. This will be my first competitive road race since I ran the Philly Marathon last November. Although I have bittersweet memories of the marathon, I have my chance to redeem some of those tough memories with a good showing tomorrow morning.

In 2002, I ran 49:38 on this course. In 2005, I ran 49:43 on this course. In 2006, I hope to smash those times with a sub 48 minute race by running a very tactically smart race. The 6.2 course is really 4 races in one. Miles 1 and 2 are about finding a comfort level, leaving the jitters behind, and having fun. My plan is to run these miles between 7:30 and 7:45. Mile 3 is the devil incarnate, also known as Crittendon Hill. This uphill section is a full mile at an incredibly steep elevation. My job here is to limit the time damage, stay relaxed with breathing and form, and hope for an 8:30ish mile. Mile 4 to 5 are about gauging how my body is feeling and whether the hill mentally or phyiscally has taken its toll on me. The plan here is to run a 7:30-7:45 Finally, mile 5-6.2 is a very fast, shaded section of the course, with lots of downhill. If I haven't cramped and I'm feeling ok, I plan to slowly lower the hammer and finish as strong as possible across the bridge. My plan here will be 7:15-7:30 (for this 1 mile plus section).

Check back in after. Thanks all!

No comments: