Thursday, August 18, 2005

Day # 32: Hardest Track Workout in Over 2.5 Years

I arrived at the Bentley track tonight anxious to test myself against the clock in a true 3 mile run. I certainly was a bit excited as I ran the first mile in 6:29. Realizing the split, I backed off on the second mile and ran through 8 laps in 13:43 (7:14 split). Stepping up the tempo on the third mile, I crossed the finish line in 20:34 (6:51 split). Although I went out too quick, I was extremely satisfied having averaged a per mile pace under under 7 minutes for 3 miles, without anyone pushing me.

As I was cooling down, 2 old Bentley track teammates (Spinney and Johnny Cal) showed up and asked if I wanted to do some speed work. Reluctantly I agreed, and we started by running an 800 in 2:34 (74 & 80 splits). I then paced the back-2-back 400 splits for Spinney's 800's in 74 & 72 respectively. A great evening of running.

I must say that I have surpassed all of my expectations of my training program thus far, and I'm only 4 weeks into training! However, I am far from becoming complacent. I will continue to push myself with the end goal of reaching the finish line of the Philadelphia Marathon with my brother Scott.

No comments: